Friday, September 12, 2008

Silverware

Well, it's Friday afternoon, and I've almost made it through the first two weeks of school. The students have me on one heck of a learning curve, and I am doing my best to quickly adapt. My grade 11 class was a bit nervous when I told them we weren't going to do any math for the first few days. On the second day of class, I started my trig unit, and they really felt a lot better doing math. Overall, a really nice, bright, and self-motivated group of 15 students. I'm also teaching a geometry class. This is my first time teaching a pure geometry course, and my grade 9 students are very patient with me as we all do this geometry class together for the first time. Then there are my two sections of grade 7 pre-algebra. I have never taught such a young age group, let alone for 90 minutes. They have a fair bit of energy. Okay, that's such an understatement. Who needs nuclear power plants when you have the energy of seventh graders!! :) Teaching grade 7 is training me quite quickly on keeping the pace moving and the students busy with work. Otherwise, with a little downtime, it's just not pretty. Suddenly, they may have to have an angry math teacher....
One of the challenges of the first month of school is Ramadan. Ramadan is a Muslim holiday where Muslims fast from sunrise to sunset. So, having students not eat all day takes a toll on everyone. Plus, there are many cultural considerations to be aware of. When fasting, nothing is to pass the lips. This includes brushing teeth. As I am not fasting, which makes sense for those of you who know how much I love food, this can be difficult. It is best to be sensitive to those fasting to not eat or drink around them, and if in public, definitely don't! To not be able to snack and drink water during my classes is a headache - literally!
However, there is one interesting thing about Ramadan I have found outside my apartment. When F'tour (the breaking of the fast) is signaled from the Mosque near my place, the streets are totally empty. All the families are in their homes, with each other, eating. About 15 minutes after the fast broke, I stepped out onto my balcony and listened to the silence. The silence, however, was broken only by the sound of silverware on plates. It was the coolest thing ever.
As for the saga of the boxes, they have arrived!! Only one of my boxes did not make it onto the shipping container, and is being air-freighted over along with others' boxes. Sadly, the box that didn't make it is the one containing all my teaching lessons and supplies. What can you do but laugh over a refreshing summer beverage!
Another reason to adore my housekeeper: I unpacked most of my clothes and left them on my spare bed. I came home from school, and not only had she prepared an amazing meal, done the laundry, cleaned the joint, but she also refolded all of my clothes and put them all away for me!! I love her! She is beyond amazing!!
Now, the adventure of unpacking the rest of the boxes and finally moving in.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Excellent post Steph. Good to know you are experiencing 7th graders! One of my Water Quality teachers said it is all about raging hormones. He figured their attention span was about 5 minutes. Take care and I look forward to more adventures.

Chris said...

It sounds like you are having a blast!! I am glad your stuff FINALLY got there. When do you get your identity card.

How was your birthday?

Unknown said...

LOVE the detail about the silverware ... "great imagery," says your English teacher sister! :)

Anonymous said...

Happy Belated Birhtday. I loved this post. I had been wondering how it would be during Ramadam. I loved your description of the sliveware on the plates.

Anonymous said...

Steph!!!

Your posts are amazing and so enlightening. I cant wait to travel more. In fact i am seriously considering coming to visit you. If it is at all possible. So I was wonder if/when your breaks are? I miss you! take care.

<3 Anne