Tuesday, October 14, 2008

A Holiday’s Early Beginning

There’s nothing quite like waiting for those in charge to look at the evening sky to determine whether you will have school the following day. Well, that’s how things work when you work on the lunar calendar. As we were at school on Tuesday, September 30, we had reports that many of the other Muslim countries were already celebrating the Eid (a holiday/the end of Ramadan). The rumors had then begun that we would be starting our holiday a day early as well. Wouldn’t you know, by lunch time, it was official – we would not be having school on Wednesday! Holiday was off to a great start, by starting a day early! Nothing like knowing people were just sure they would being to see the moon that night, and we could finally eat, drink and be merry during daylight hours again! The next day, I knew it was official when I saw my neighbors across the street out on their porch having a cigarette and people in the street drinking from water bottles by 10am. I of course had to rely on this method of conformation, as I have no television. Even if I did, it wouldn’t matter - again with the lack of understanding French and/or Moroccan Arabic.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I get the eat, drink and be merry part. BTW, I got the web cam but am not happy with Skype. Looking for different options.

Stephanie said...

Glad to hear about your webcam, bummer about Skype.