Saturday, August 16, 2008

Beware of Greeks? Naw, bring ‘em on!



The school year of 2006-2007 was a stressful one. February break came and went, and I still wasn’t feeling overly happy. Then, after filing my taxes, I did a bit of thinking about my refund and how I had always wanted to travel to Greece. I’d taken a history of ancient Greece class at UNC-CH, and have always been fascinated with ancient history.
Rather out of the blue one March afternoon, I headed over to AAA and booked myself a holiday in Athens for April break.
I loved my week in Athens! I quickly became comfortable either walking through Plaka (the old part of Athens) or taking the Metro/Subway/T to other parts of the city. My two side excursions included a day trip to Cape Sunion, where Poseidon had a temple, and a day trip to Delphi.
My first day in Athens I attempted to do as the Greeks and went for a self-guided (with my trusty travel book) tour of the Acropolis and surrounding grounds. I think I spent close to six hours walking through all the ruins. It was pretty crazy how close you could walk up to objects that had been around for 4,000 years!
I knew at this point, despite becoming horribly sick at the end of a fantastic holiday (Greece is a country of smokers!!), that I would have to do this again the next April holiday and my next trip was going to be Italy! I had also decided I would love to teach and live in Athens. Thankfully I still had a business card sitting on my coffee table.

No comments: