Saturday, August 16, 2008

When in Rome…



I love places that are beautiful and offer excellent food and drink! Ah Greece, ah Italy. For April holiday of 2008, I spent an amazing week in Rome. The hotel I stayed at was located a perfect walking distance from everywhere, as I learned with the help of a most wonderful hotel staff gentleman, Paolo. As he exclaimed to me my first morning in Rome, “Roma is my city. I will tell you where to go.” Most every morning from then on, Paolo would give me new destinations to see, and new places to eat at.
The food, the sights, the people of Rome were just what I needed. While seeing many of the sights of Rome, I also did a couple of tours. I walked to the Spanish Steps, the Trevi Fountain, and the area surrounding the Coliseum. As for tours, I did a tour of Vatican City, and a tour inside the Coliseum as well as its surrounding grounds.
One of my highlights was reminding myself that when in Rome…. Therefore, when Paolo offered to give me a personal driving tour of Rome, I accepted. I then realized I was getting a tour on the back of his motorcycle! Holy fright! It was so exhilarating to ride on his motorcycle with him! He was also sweet enough on my last day in Rome to drive me out for an afternoon on the beach. Truly magnificent!
It was somewhere in the middle of my own ‘Roman Holiday’ I discovered I needed to teach internationally. A passion had awoken within me, and I was finally ready to answer the call.I flew home on Sunday, and the very next day at work, I filled out the necessary paperwork to take Friday off and complete my application to teach overseas. Thankfully, I still had that business card on my coffee table.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Please tell me the guy behind you and to your left was holding his wife's purse. I know that "Man Bags" are all the rage in Europe, but that's no man bag...

Stephanie said...

Sorry to say, but "Man Bags" were present in Rome. Don't you want one now!! ;)