Saturday, August 16, 2008

Of all the schools in all the world…

The first Friday of May, I began the process of my application. On May 13, 2008, my application with Search Associates was activated and I was out there. It was fun to see what countries were popping up in my inbox. Turkey, Morocco, Egypt, Dubai, Germany, China, and many, many other places all had available math positions.
I first interviewed with a school in Bavaria (over the phone) and the interview went well. Then, on May 31st, I received a message from a school in Morocco asking me if available and interested to contact him. In an effort to be fair with the school I had just interviewed with, I did nothing with this school in Morocco. When I did not hear back from the first school by the time they had hoped to let me know, I went ahead and replied to the school in Morocco on June 6th that I would be interested.
On June 10th, I once again went through a phone interview process, but I felt much better about this interview. The director was polite, thoughtful, to the point, helpful, and he has a good sense of humor. The next morning, I arrived at school quite early to get ready for the senior class trip. I opened my email, and Casablanca American School had offered me a position teaching high school math. I ran through the building looking for someone to share my exciting news with, but no one else had arrived. I phoned my sister knowing since she is also a teacher, she, too, would be up. Thankfully she was! That Friday, one month to the day after my application became active, I happily accepted the job.
After a rushed packing a vacating of my apartment in Vermont, I traveled home with the remainder of my possessions to be stored at my parent’s home. Dad always said he wanted me to move back home, I just don’t think he expected all of my stuff to come with me! :) And now, I sit here with a quick final update before I leave. I will be arriving at the airport for departure in just over twelve hours from now, and it is unbelievable the number of butterflies in my stomach. I know I have everything I will need, in fact I am quite sure I have packed way, way too much, but I am too tired and anxious and excited and nervous to do anything about it now. As for Morocco, and in the words of my niece (when playing hide-and-seek), “Ready? Here I come!”

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good post, Steph. I expect you might read this in Morocco. Good Luck!

Chris said...

Have a great time Sneph and we will keep in touch.

Love,

Your Cuz

Anonymous said...

Stephanie, got the mass e-mail with your schedule. If you get delayed in Cincy, call me. Its only about 90 minutes up the road.

Anonymous said...

Never mind, I'm apparently and idiot. You went through here yesterday. Oh well. Maybe on your next trip home...